Categories: Association Marketing Strategy
Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you know who Miley Cyrus is, or have at least seen her name plastered in the tabloids. And, if you’re like me, you’re likely getting a little sick of her by now. But, there’s little denying that she has realized great success at capturing the public eye and has cleverly used social media to help her do so. In fact, the pop sensation has over 18 million Twitter followers, 47 million Facebook likes, and on the night of her infamous VMA performance, she had over 300,000 Twitter mentions per second – second only to the 2012 Presidential election where there were 327,452 mentions per second.
The proof is in the numbers and while it’s no secret she’s all over social media, the following are 8 surprising things Miley and social media have in common.
1.They’ve changed their identity Miley was actually born Destiny Hope Cyrus, and while we used to think of social media as MySpace, it’s now Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Pinterest and Instagram.
2. Their image has matured. Miley created controversy last year with her provocative performance at the VMAs and in her recent music videos. She now has a much more mature audience than her days as Hannah Montana. Although social media platforms used to target, and appeal to,a younger audience, the demographic is now much older. In fact, Facebook originated as a way for college students to connect but now 71% of all U.S. adults and 45% of Internet users aged 65+ use Facebook.
3. There’s cross over.Miley started on television but has crossed over to both the movie and music scenes. People cross over on social media too. There is a 42% overlap of usage across multiple social media sites. The chart to to the right, composed by Pew Research Center, demonstrates the overlap that exists between Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, LinkedIn and Facebook users.
4. They are both all about engagement and keeping their audience’s attention. Whether you like Miley or not, she knows how to get attention and keep her fans interested. This is also the key to social media – using images, links and videos dramatically increase engagement and sharing. Tweets with images receive 150% more retweets and photos on Facebook generate 53% more likes.
5. They aren’t slowing down anytime soon. In 2013, Miley brought in $76.5 million, making her the top female earning celebrity. Like Miley’s bank account, social media continues to grow too. Research done by Pew Research Center evaluated the use of five popular social media sites and each one saw growth year over year.
6. They’re pretty loyal. There’s no question Miley’s fans are loyal despite her recent controversies. The same loyalty is found in social media – 36% of Internet users use just one social network.
7. There’s mixed reaction from parents. While lots of parents find Miley to be a bad influence, others don’t see her controversial behavior as such a big deal. 73% of teens use social networks, but parents tend to be cautious with 60% of parents thinking they should have total control of their child’s social media use.
8. They twerk. We all saw it on the VMAs and people can’t stop talking about it on social media. Miley’s VMA video was the second most watched online video of 2013 and twerking came in seventh for the most talked about Facebook topics for the year. The word “twerk” was so popular in 2013 that it was even added to the dictionary.
So, there you have it – 8 things that that both Miley Cyrus and social media have in common. The question now becomes how will use this knowledge in order to implement a social media that drives results? For more on social media, download our eBook, 6 Steps to Creating a Social Media Strategy for Increased Sales and Member Retention.
4 Simple Steps To Growing Your Membership With LinkedIn
Learn how to use LinkedIn to attract new members, engage current members and measure the results.